Al-Asas for Teaching Arabic to Non-Native Speakers: Part 2, Advanced Beginner Level (With MP3 CD) الأساس في تعليم العربية للناطقين بغيرها
- Publisher: Noorart
- Author: Fawzieh Ahmad Bader
- Product Code/ISBN: 9781933269108
- Specifications: 282 Pages, Paperback, 23 X 28 cm, Age: High School
- Availability: In Stock
- Price: $70.00
The book contains 15 lessons that are closely related to the students’ daily lives. As in previous editions, the direct communication approach was used in order to make do – as much as possible – without the use of an intermediate language or the need for translation.
In selecting the texts of the lessons, I made sure the content met with students’ needs and different levels. The lessons are thus designed in a variety of topics and cater to different learning needs. The texts of the lessons are original works and are presented as follows:
- The texts include terms that are used on a daily basis, including frequently-used verbs, nouns, and collocations. An audio version of the texts is available on the enclosed CD so that students can practice reading at their convenience.
- A list of new words used in the text follows it immediately along with words that are related to the topic of the text. Some words are repeated intentionally due to their importance. These words are audio recorded and translated into English on the CD. The lessons also focus on dialogues over the same topic so that students would have more opportunities to practice reading and retain the largest possible number of terms, which would help them integrate more easily into the Arab society they are in. This would give students greater confidence while speaking Arabic and help rid them of their reluctance to use it outside the classroom
- Lessons include a section on comprehension where questions are designed to gauge the student’s comprehension of the text and train them on formulating answers in grammatically-sound sentences.
- Terms are presented in a variety of ways, including illustrations and synonyms and antonyms so as to expand the students’ lexicon. Exercises include fill-in-the-blank and arranging words to form meaningful sentences.
- Grammar and conjugation exercises are designed in a gradual approach that furnish students with basic rules to aid in learning Arabic and speaking it with as little mistakes as possible. The importance of these basic rules has been stressed in the construction of simple and complex sentences that are indispensable to students of Arabic. As indicated in the introduction of Part I, I have attempted – in as much as possible – to steer away from the traditional approach of teaching the rules of grammar and conjugation because teaching is a means not an end in itself; in other words, teaching must be functional and focus on the student.
- This book contains exercises to train students on conversational skills in Arabic. Exercises include conversations between students and the instructor and between the students themselves. They aim to help students practice the correct pronunciation of Arab phonemes through the use of words and sentences that occur in the lessons. Every lesson contains a conversation exercise.
- Students are also taught to write at least one paragraph. A writing exercise has been added to the end of each lesson and deals with the topic of the lesson involved, which would ensure that students have enough terminology to write a paragraph or more in the exercise. Instructors must impress upon students the need to pay attention to the hamza and its different forms, as well as the different conjugation marks and punctuation. Instructors should also explain to the students the concept of silent letters (written but not enunciated), such as long vowels that occur at the end of certain verb structures as well as sounds that are enunciated but not spelled ,(كتبوا، لم/لن يكتبوا، اُكْتبوا) It is .(هذا، هذه، هؤلاء، لكنّ) out, such as the long vowel in certain words also important to explain the order in which nouns and adjectives are arranged in Arabic.
The lessons have been supplemented with a general revision under the heading “Test your Knowledge,” followed by two appendixes containing the conjugation of verbs and the conjugation of the singular and plural forms. The purpose of these appendixes is to help students practice basic grammatical and conjugation skills that they should be familiar with upon completing this level.
The book contains four appendixes in total:
- Appendix 1 & 2: They contains a glossary of words used in the texts and exercises of the lessons. The words are organized in the order in which they appear in the text – not in alphabetical order so as to be easy to follow for students. I thought of translating the glossary into several languages in addition to English (as I did with the first edition six years ago). I was surprised and delighted when my students rushed to the task. The glossary was thus translated into major global languages: English, French, Spanish, Russian, and Chinese, as well as into Japanese and Korean. The translation was proofread by advanced Arabic language students who were native speakers of the languages they revised.
- Appendix 3: It contains the conjugation of verbs in three tenses (past, present, and imperative) with separate pronouns. Most of the verbs were mentioned in the lessons while the rest were selected because they are related closely to daily activities. The purpose is to build up students’ lexicon, give them the confidence to use the language and encourage them to continue studying it (which is the primary purpose in my opinion).
- Appendix 4: This appendix is dedicated to singular and plural forms. It contains the singular and plural forms of nouns mentioned in the lessons. The reason I dedicated an appendix to plural forms is the absence of a rule that students can use to form irregular plurals, which are common and heavily-used in Arabic. Foreign students – even at advanced stages – have difficulty forming irregular plural nouns.
- Appendix 5: Importance of the Arab World.
- Appendix 6: List Arabic grammar Vocabularies along with English translation.
The enclosed CD contains:
- A clear recording of the texts of the main lessons.
- Translation of new vocabulary words from each lesson.
- Questions and Answers to the “Test Your Knowledge” section.